Streaming services have changed the way we watch movies and TV series. From having to wait for your favorite TV shows to be aired at a certain time to streaming the most popular original Netflix TV series, Money Heist, at your convenience.
Netflix’s streaming service is what made it so popular today that it’s impossible for anyone to not know about this streaming service. But have you ever wondered which Netflix original series were the most popular in each country? What about the most popular original series in the world? Read more to find out and you might find some new titles that might interest you, too.
Every Country’s Favorite Original Netflix TV Series
Netflix’s library is so large that anyone could binge-watch for months and still have tons of movies and series to watch. However, there are a few titles that topped in each country.
- As seen in the data map above, countries in South America like Brazil, Columbia, Cuba, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, and the Dominican Republic, Money Heist is the most popular original series.
- On a similar note, Orange Is the New Black is a favored Netflix original in Canada and Australia while Stranger Things is the more popular original series in the United States, Greenland, and Chile. To see the full list of each country’s favored series, refer to the Top 10 Most Popular Netflix Original Series in the World section below.
- From July 28 to August 3, 2019, it was found that Netflix’s show “Stranger Things” may not be most country’s favorite but it was the most in-demand digital original show in the U.S, with approximately 199 million average demand expressions.
According to Parrot Analytics, Stranger Things was the most popular digital original TV show in the U.S. from July 28 to August 3, 2019, with over 189 million average demand expressions.
From July 28 to August 3, 2019, it was found by Parrot Analytics that Orange is the New Black was the second-most popular digital original show in the U.S., with over 82 million demand expressions.
In Q2 of 2019, about 64 million member households were watching the third season of Stranger Things in its first 4 weeks on the platform.
In the second quarter of 2019, Netflix’s subscriber count has gone way down the sink again since 2011 but thanks to the retro sci-fi horror hit Stranger Things, Netflix had gained over 520,000 new paid subscribers in the U.S. in Q3 of 2019 while paid memberships increased by 6.26 million.
Top 20 Most Popular Netflix Original Series in the World
Netflix has plenty of great series you can binge-watch and here are the top 20 of the most popular Netflix original series in the world:
- Among the original Netflix TV series around the world, 66 countries prefer crime/thriller genres, followed by continuation genres, which is preferred by 64 countries.
- Among the most popular original Netflix TV series, 62 countries favored series with drama genre.
- Not all of the popular Netflix original TV series are in English because 73 countries favored original Netflix TV series that aren’t using English as primary language.
- 85 countries around the world favored original Netflix TV series that are listed as Netflix originals but are shown or stream in different countries through distribution rights.
- Only 2 countries favored original Netflix TV series that are scripted using foreign language while 4 countries favored original Netflix TV series that were co-productions.
Interesting Facts About Netflix’s Original Content
In 2018, 1.9% of Netflix originals were available across all of its markets worldwide, up from 0.4% of the number of originals Netflix had in 2016.
Netflix was found to have released a thousand original content titles in 2018, up from only 300 produced in the previous year.
Netflix had 1,569 TV shows in the U.S. from only 530 in 2010.
It was found in a survey as of January 2018 that 21% of respondents stated that Netflix’s original shows were absolutely critical in their decision to keep using the streaming service.
Netflix’s original programs in 2018 received a total of 112 Emmy Awards nominations, that’s three times more than triple the number of nominations received three years previously.
Among the original series, Grace And Frankie will be the longest-running original series to end. At 94 episodes, this Emmy-nominated series now becomes Netflix’s longest-running original show across genres, taking over the 91-episode Orange Is the New Black.
House of Cards was the first original online-only web television series to receive major nominations for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards in 2013. It was also Netflix’s first Emmy nomination in 2013.
In 2019, Netflix originals had a total of 117 Emmy nominations and won 27.
- It was found that 18% of Netflix users are planning on subscribing to both Netflix and Disney+.
As of April 26, 2019, it was found that 60% of Netflix users don’t plan on cancelling their account in exchange for a Disney+ account while 2% are sure to cancel their Netflix in exchange for a Disney+ account.
12% of Netflix users might cancel their Netflix account to get a Disney+ account while 8% are unsure as of April 2019.
Netflix’s Growth Over the Years
Since Netflix started its streaming service in 2011, it had grown exponentially over the years.
In 2018, Netflix generated a net income of 1.21 billion U.S. dollars, with a total of 7,1000 employees working worldwide.
Netflix’s worldwide streaming subscriber count in Q3 of 2019 reached a total of 158.3 million; 97.7 million of which are international paid subscribers and 60.6 million are from the U.S. paid subscribers.
- Netflix generated a total revenue of 15.8 billion U.S. dollars in 2018 from 1.36 billion U.S. dollars 10 years ago in 2008.
- In 2018, Netflix was recorded to have generated 15.8 billion U.S. dollars of annual revenue from an annual revenue of 3.2 billion U.S. dollars in 2011 to 11.7 billion U.S. dollars in 2017.
- It was also recorded in Q3 of 2019 that Netflix had generated a total revenue of over 5.2 billion U.S. dollars up from only 4 billion U.S. dollars in the corresponding quarter in 2018.
- Netflix’s worldwide streaming subscriber count in Q3 of 2019 reached a total of 158.3 million; 97.7 million of which are international paid subscribers and 60.6 million are from the U.S. paid subscribers.
Countries and their Favorite Netflix Original Series
To gather a list of all the original programs distributed by Netflix, we used Wikipedia. From there we used Google Trends to find out which TV show was most frequently searched in each country. Specifically, we gathered data starting from February 1, 2013, the date when Netflix streamed “House of Cards”– their first original content.
Which country are you from? Is our list of the most popular TV shows per country accurate? Did it surprise you? Let us know in the comments section below!